Last night marked one of our favorite nights of the year, the Academy Awards. While most people tune in to find out which of their favorite films and actors will walk away with an award, we are all about the fashion. From Jennifer Lawrence stumbling on the carpet (gracefully, per usual) in a stunning Dior dress to Lupita Nyong’o capturing Best Supporting Actress in a power blue Prada gown, the night was full of statement fashion moments. Scroll through the slideshow to see some of our favorite Oscar dresses and the MILLY looks that tie back to them. SHOP ALL DRESSES HERE.
One of our favorite fashion bloggers, Blair Eadie of Atlantic-Pacific, was recently photographed wearing a head-to-toe MILLY outfit, looking feminine yet edgy. GET HER MILLY DRESS AND COAT HERE. Not only do we admire Blair for braving the NYC cold and sporting a dress, but her mesh-on-mesh getup is utter perfection. Blair wears the MILLY Bustier Strap Dress and Cape Zip Coat, cut from an Italian honeycomb tech mesh material. Available in a variety of different styles, the luxurious, textured fabric is a spring staple for MILLY and will freshen up your spring wardrobe, whether in the form of a dress, skirt, top or coat. Blair completes her monochrome look with her signature Karen Walker sunglasses, statement jewels and of course, red lips. She epitomizes black and white done right.
Talk about a major MILLY moment - today, the one and only Lady Gaga was photographed in NYC wearing the MILLY Leather Shortalls. In classic Gaga style, she amps up her look with various textures and accessories (note her Pharrell-esque hat, circle sunglasses and floor-length coat.) She makes the shortalls weather appropriate by styling them with tights and a collared blouse underneath.
The MILLY FW ‘14 runway show was held on Monday, February 10 at Lincoln Center. Michelle Smith, founder and designer of MILLY divulges her inspiration for the collection of handbags here:
I started my line of handbags in 2011, 10 years after I began my ready to wear business. I love experimenting with fabrics and textures—this season I took it to a new level. Here, I’ll give you a sneak peek of what’s to come this fall.
1.The Riley Collection large tote: I love the structure of this handbag and the zipper with fringe adds a fashion-forward element. Carry it from work to weekend easily.
2. Blake Satchel: A ladylike silhouette, I love the classic nature of this satchel. In 5 colors with custom hardware, you can’t go wrong. The zipper is my favorite part—it’s oversize and gold. A true show-stopper.
3. Skylar Fur Satchel: Featuring vegan fur, this satchel will be available in blush, fuschia and black, adding texture and fun to any fall look.
4. Gold Croc small satchel: A little gold goes a long way. This gold croc embossed handbag will be available in a variety of silhouettes, but I’m partial to the small satchel, which easily goes from day to night and can never be outshone!
5. Logan Zip tote: All eyes on the zipper! I love this tote—it will be available in mini, small and large for all lifestyles.
6. Fringe clutch: Made of lamb leather, this swing-y clutch features two layers of fringe—it’s quite the attention-getter! Shown here in black, but it will also come in French blue, Ink and Caramel.
Jennifer Lopez is looking fresh in MILLY SS ‘14 parrot print micro shorts on set shooting the music video for her song, “We Are One” (Ole Ola) which will be the official song of the Fifa World Cup 2014 in Brazil.
The MILLY FW ‘14 show was held yesterday at Lincoln Center. Michelle Smith, founder and designer of MILLY divulges her inspiration here:
What was your inspiration for the MILLY Fall/Winter 2014 collection?
My collection, named “DUSK” focuses on movement, texture and drama. The color palette was inspired by the stages of nightfall, from blush to onyx and including reflective metallic that remind me of moonlight. For the silhouettes, I was inspired by classical dance—I like the idea of the paradox of discipline and beauty and played with both fluidity and structure.
How do you begin your design process?
I love color and pattern so I always begin with fabric. This season, I was very interested in contrasting textures—the juxtaposition of light and dark vs. weightlessness and volume.
Tell us more about the fabrics.
I wanted the fabrics to incorporate movement and drama,. I love to use really luxurious European fabrics - beaded fringe, sheer tulle with intricate pleating, Mongolian fur and reflective foil leather, and ultra-sonic welded leather.
Whether it’s your first season attending New York Fashion Week or your 10th, what to wear to fashion week is never easy. Here, we break it down into 3 simple rules and give our suggestions for what to wear to a fashion show. Sign up now to get first access to the MILLY Livestream on show day, February 10 at 2pm EST.
Rule 1. Always make a statement. Everything you wear should have something that stands out and makes it special. Forget the sensible handbag and go for a holographic clutch or forgo leather leggings for leather overalls.
Rule 2. Silhouette is key. Find the silhouette of the season and stick to it. Midi skirts and crop tops or bralettes are de rigour this season, so you may want to be sure to grab one now… Looking for more ideas? See our SS ’14 runway show to get some ideas.
If you’ve ever played Starships or Super Bass on repeat (come on, don’t lie…) then you’ll understand why we were incredibly excited to see the fabulous Nicki Minaj rocking a MILLY SS ‘14 bodysuit on the February cover of ESPN Magazine. Even better, she’s featured on the cover with basketball superstar, Kobe Bryant.
Nicki Minaj, who is known for her one-of-a-kind fashion style, pairs the MILLY bodysuit with a feminine pleated skirt and killer platforms. For MILLY SS ‘14, Michelle drew inspiration from perforated facades found in contemporary Japanese architecture. The custom-made prints, one of which Nicki is wearing on the ESPN cover, were based on Japanese and Hawaiian florals.
English supermodel Kate Moss turns 40 today, which gives us at MILLY a reason to celebrate. Regarded as one of the Queens of fashion, Kate Moss can do no wrong. Appearing on the cover of British magazine The Face at the age of 16, Moss has been regarded as one of fashion’s finest ever since.
If you’re looking for ways to exude Kate Moss’s style, here are three easy steps to keep in mind:
1. Don’t try too hard. There’s no chance you have ever seen Kate Moss going for an overly polished look, yet she always appears put together. How does she do this? She pairs high fashion items with every day pieces, like jeans and a simple tee with killer shoes and a leather jacket.
2. Don’t wear something expected. One of the reasons Kate Moss is revered in the world of fashion is because she doesn’t care about trends. You won’t see Kate Moss rocking the season staple - she finds stand out pieces that no one else has and owns them. #1,098 why we would do anything to go on a shopping trip with her…
3. Break the rules. Kate Moss is not one to play by the rules and we love her for that. A rocker chic at heart, Moss plays with fashion by creating outfits that are surprising and edgy. She isn’t afraid to make a mistake, both professionally and personally, and her aloofness only makes us more intrigued.
Scroll through our slideshow to view our top Kate Moss inspired picks: