The MILLY FW ‘14 runway show was held on Monday, February 10 at Lincoln Center. Michelle Smith, founder and designer of MILLY divulges her inspiration for the collection of handbags here:
I started my line of handbags in 2011, 10 years after I began my ready to wear business. I love experimenting with fabrics and textures—this season I took it to a new level. Here, I’ll give you a sneak peek of what’s to come this fall.
1.The Riley Collection large tote: I love the structure of this handbag and the zipper with fringe adds a fashion-forward element. Carry it from work to weekend easily.
2. Blake Satchel: A ladylike silhouette, I love the classic nature of this satchel. In 5 colors with custom hardware, you can’t go wrong. The zipper is my favorite part—it’s oversize and gold. A true show-stopper.
3. Skylar Fur Satchel: Featuring vegan fur, this satchel will be available in blush, fuschia and black, adding texture and fun to any fall look.
4. Gold Croc small satchel: A little gold goes a long way. This gold croc embossed handbag will be available in a variety of silhouettes, but I’m partial to the small satchel, which easily goes from day to night and can never be outshone!
5. Logan Zip tote: All eyes on the zipper! I love this tote—it will be available in mini, small and large for all lifestyles.
6. Fringe clutch: Made of lamb leather, this swing-y clutch features two layers of fringe—it’s quite the attention-getter! Shown here in black, but it will also come in French blue, Ink and Caramel.
Backstage, the beauty at the MILLY FW ‘14 show was focused on natural, sheer makeup and nails.
Romy Soleimani created a sheer, opulent makeup look with the idea of a “ballerina off duty” as inspiration letting the models’ natural beauty stand out with the help of Kevyn Aucoin makeup and Arcona skincare.
Meanwhile, in the nail department, Essie followed suit, with two colors we like to think of as an updated version of ‘Ballet Slippers’ - with ‘Mademoiselle’ and ‘Cocktails and Coconuts’ the inspiration was polished and sheer.
The MILLY FW ‘14 show was held yesterday at Lincoln Center. Michelle Smith, founder and designer of MILLY divulges her inspiration here:
What was your inspiration for the MILLY Fall/Winter 2014 collection?
My collection, named “DUSK” focuses on movement, texture and drama. The color palette was inspired by the stages of nightfall, from blush to onyx and including reflective metallic that remind me of moonlight. For the silhouettes, I was inspired by classical dance—I like the idea of the paradox of discipline and beauty and played with both fluidity and structure.
How do you begin your design process?
I love color and pattern so I always begin with fabric. This season, I was very interested in contrasting textures—the juxtaposition of light and dark vs. weightlessness and volume.
Tell us more about the fabrics.
I wanted the fabrics to incorporate movement and drama,. I love to use really luxurious European fabrics - beaded fringe, sheer tulle with intricate pleating, Mongolian fur and reflective foil leather, and ultra-sonic welded leather.
MILLY founder and designer Michelle Smith (aka “DJ MILLY”) is constantly creating playlists to get the MILLY staff amped up. Fashion Week is no exception. With long nights and lots to do to get ready for the big day (today!), she’s mapped out your perfect playlist to get you in the mood for New York Fashion Week. Download it now!