We know summer weekends are like gold… and they slip by way too fast. Do your future weekend warrior self a favor and start planning your perfect weekend now with the MILLY Road Trip series. This week’s stop: The Hamptons.
MILLY founder and designer Michelle Smith has spent summer weekends in the Hamptons for the past 17 years, making it the ultimate place to open a MILLY East Hampton beach retreat boutique…Come visit us at 54 Main Street in East Hampton!
Have you caught the MILLY floral wave yet? We think it’s time you did. Crafted from Italian tropical print inspired by a trip MILLY founder and designer took to Hawaii and Japan, the print intertwines sea blossom with painterly waves for a look that’s undeniably cool.
Finally, it’s Memorial Day weekend, which means the unofficial start to summer, and of course, wedding season (not to mention the MILLY Memorial Day sale!). Didn’t make the bridesmaids cut? No worries, the consolation prize is that you can choose your own dress! Here, we make it easy to choose…
1. If you’re not concerned about upstaging the bride…then the MILLY Ombre Strapless Maxi is a no brainer. Cut from a beautiful ombre degrade georgette, the color and draping make for a killer combination. Plus, the indigo color is ideal for the season.
2.The bride and groom are opting for rooftop nuptials…go for the MILLY Arabelle Gown. A vibrant shocking pink color will stand out in the best way possible. The leather waistband adds edge, while a back open slit makes it feminine and sexy.
3. If you happened to be invited to Kimye’s wedding…then the MILLY Chelsea Halter Gala Dress takes the cake. Double silk georgette and ruffle details make this dress ethereal and alluring and an open back gives it drama. Wherever the celeb couple seal the deal, this dress is bound to impress.
4. For the black tie garden wedding…opt for the MILLY Ava Strapless Gown. Crafted in a one-of-a-kind Italian ivy print, this dress is contemporary and striking. A boned bustier gives it structure and a full skirt gives it volume and movement. Don’t be surprised when all heads turn as you walk into the ceremony…
5. For those sealing the deal beachfront…the flowy MILLY Monica Strapless Dress is a must-have. Made of a gorgeous Italian watercolor paisley print silk chiffon, the poppy color complements the fluid design. Go shoes free for the ultimate boho-luxe look.
6. Backyard weddings call for…casual, yet elegant attire, which makes the MILLY Bella Dressour top pick. Featuring a V-neck, draped sleeves and a gorgeous Italian watercolor paisley print, this dress is fresh and feminine. Effortlessly transition from the reception to the party in this number.
7. If the ceremony is being held at an art gallery…the best-selling MILLY Racerback Sheath, made of an Italian sea blossom print, can’t be beat. Wearable art, this print was inspired by MILLY designer and founder Michelle Smith’s recent trip to Japan. Hues of seafoam green and cantaloupe in the form of exotic florals mean this dress is unlike any other in your closet.
The MILLY Sorry for Partying tee is having a moment.
How will you wear yours? Read on for outfit inspiration inspired by the likes of models Cara Delevigne and Lou Lou Robert to some of our favorite style bloggers…
Cara Delevigne wears her tee with a pair of jeans and a smile.
Style blogger Bonnie Barton of Flashes of Style pairs hers with suspenders, a top hat, tights and oxfords.
Errand-running: Meanwhile, Christina Caradona, of Trop Rogue accessorizes with dark denim cut-offs and some enviable waves. MILLY ad campaign model Lou Lou Robert sports hers on an Ikea run with a skirt and leather jacket. Rach Martino proves you just might be able to get away with wearing a Sorry for Partying tee to the office by tucking it into a polka dot pencil skirt and pulling on a colorblock blazer.
Lemon Stripes made her co-workers laugh by wearing hers with denim and a sparkly hat.
Going to see the ballet is one of my favorite NYC activities. Fun fact: my Fall 2014 Runway Show focused on texture, movement and drama inspired by the discipline and beauty of classical dance.
I love attending the American Ballet Theatre’s opening night gala performance because it gives me an opportunity to see snippets of each ballet which will be performed that season. I then mark my favorites, which I will go back to see in full-length.
My ABT selects this season are:
1. Don Quixote: Featuring one of my favorite ballerinas, Maria Kochetkova (follow her on Instagram @balletrusse) as Kitri, I just saw this last night and it was killer.
2. Manon: Featuring music by Jules Massenet and fluid, romantic choreography by Kenneth MacMillan, this ballet is the ultimate tragic love story. It even brought my husband to tears!
3. Nuages: A premiere for the company this season, “Nuages” is a contemporary ballet, choreographed by Jiri Kylian. I’m excited to see this piece added to ABT’s repertoire.
4. Cinderella: I can’t wait to bring my 7 year old daughter to this one for a fun mother/daughter night out! One of the greatest fairy tales, ABT’s Cinderella features choreography by Frederick Ashton and music by Sergei Prokofiev.
Misty Copeland is another one of my favorite ABT dancers — her grace and passion never fail to amaze me. I love following her on Instagram to see what goes on behind-the-scenes at rehearsals.
With each collection, Michelle Smith, founder and designer of MILLY designs signature prints that act as roadmaps for the ready to wear season. Here, we give you a behind the scenes look at how a print comes to life.
WHAT MAKES IT SPECIAL:
Snapped by a member of the MILLY team, this photograph was taken in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle. Epitomizing the hustle and bustle of city life, the print features bright yellow NYC taxi cabs and the city’s stunning horizon. Transformed by our graphic designer into a continuous print, this design is truly one-of-a-kind.
HOW TO WEAR IT:
Transferred onto canvas, the city print is available in tote form. Carry this luxurious custom-made handbag when you’re looking to make a statement. A definite conversation starter, this tote features an interior zip compartment and is sized to fit all of your essentials, from your iPad to your beauty must-haves.
Mother’s Day always calls for a good time—yesterday’s Mother’s Day Carnival to support Born Free America was the ultimate way to spend the day with my kids and husband. My daughter Sophia couldn’t have been more excited when Idina Menzel invited all of the kids up to the stage to join her in singing Let It Go and my son William was happy as can be to meet New York Knicks forward Amar’e Stoudemire. Other activities included face painting by a contributing VOGUE photographer, workshops with actors from The Lion King, yoga with Lululemon, and treats from Dylan’s Candy Bar, just to name a few…
Hosted by Vogue, DVF, Claire Dans, Liya Kebede, John Megrue and Wangechi Mutu, the celebration supports Born Free America, an initiative that aims to end mother-to-child HIV transmission by December 31, 2015. Learn more about the cause here: http://bornfreeafrica.org/.
It’s Mother’s Day, which means in addition to celebrating our own mothers, we’re also raising a mimosa to the chicest style icons on earth.
Take a look back with us at the ease and glamour of Jane Birkin’s printed tunics while she enjoys daughters Kate and Charlotte, Jackie O’s iconic sunnies-and-cashmere t-shirt combo while hanging with Caroline and John John, Audrey Hepburn’s classic mod look while cuddling with Luca and Sean, and Sophia Loren’s ever-sultry glamour while playing with sons Edoardo and Carlo Jr. We’d ask you to pick a favorite, but really, how can you choose?
Enjoy the eye candy in the slideshow - talk about hitting the DNA lottery!
Still need a gift for mom? Ends today, in-store only: receive a $50 MILLY gift card with a purchase of a full-priced MILLY handbag valued at $300 or more.